CIS Tax, Construction Refunds & Rebates worth £2,300 on Average | Get Yours Today

If you're self-employed and work in construction, we can help you claim an average tax refund of £2,300.

Estimate your CIS tax refund

We’re here to make your life easy as your go-to tax experts, particularly if you work for yourself and are paid under the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS).

If you are already aware of the CIS tax rebate and are just looking for an estimate of how much you are due then you can use our calculator below to work it out.

CIS Tax refund calculator

If you’re self-employed and registered for CIS tax, you could be entitled to a tax refund.

Which tax year are you claiming for?
How much do you earn before tax (Gross Income)?
Do you have any Expenses?
CIS deductions rate

Your estimated is: £0

Give me my Tax Refund

Remember, this is just a rough estimation of what your refund might be.

For a more detailed idea of what you claim, click the "Give me my Tax Refund button above.

Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) Tax FAQs

  • What is the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)?

    If you’re self-employed and work in the construction industry or on site as a plumber or heating engineer for example, you’d fall under the CIS. Construction workers who are subcontracted by contractors will have CIS deductions taken towards tax and national insurance, which are then passed through to HMRC. These Tax deductions can then be calculated at the end of the Tax year in your Self Assessment, allowing you to claim a CIS Tax refund on any CIS deductions you’ve overpaid. It can sound daunting, but having the support of experienced Tax experts makes the experience a doddle.

  • I work in the construction industry, do I qualify for the CIS?

    The Construction Industry Scheme is designed for self-employed people working in construction. CIS work according to HMRC includes work undertaken to permanent or temporary building structures, or civil engineering work like roads and bridges for example. Construction work, as far as CIS is concerned at least, includes: Site preparation and the provision of access works or laying foundations, building work, alterations, repairs and decoration, the installation of heating, lighting, power, water and ventilation, subsequent cleaning of site following completion of construction work and any dismantling or demolition works required.

  • How do I claim a CIS Tax refund?

    Claiming your CIS Tax refund is far easier than you might think. At the end of each Tax year, you need to submit a Tax return to HMRC. From this process you’ll know exactly what Tax and National Insurance you owe which is offset against any tax deductions you’ve already paid. In most cases, this will entitle you to a tax refund, if you're under the CIS. If you’d like tax experts to take care of this for you, contact us and one of our dedicated consultants will talk you through every step over the phone. We’ll then start preparing your tax return right away and in many cases, can submit on the same day

  • Do I need to pay upfront to get my CIS tax refund?

    No. All of our charges for completing your CIS tax return are automatically deducted from your Tax refund figure, so you won’t need to find a penny in advance (so long as your refund sufficiently covers our fee).

  • Can I get my Tax refund early?

    Yes, our sister company IN-SYNC Credit Services may be able to pay your CIS Tax refund into your bank account as soon as we have your expenses and income information – Perfect if you need a little bit of extra cash for a rainy day.

  • How do I know what I’m due back from my tax refund?

    The refund you may get back depends on three things: Your CIS deductions, total earnings and business expenses. The average Tax refund for our customers is £2,300. In some cases you can receive several years of overpaid refunds — if you’re eligible, CIS Tax can even be claimed back for the previous four years. As a CIS worker, you’ll be required to make contributions for Tax and National Insurance each month. The amount of Tax you pay is typically 20%, but will be determined by HMRC when the contractor you work for verifies your UTR number. Your refunds calculation starts by looking at your total income for the year and deducting any allowable business expenses. When you know exactly how much profit you’ve earned for the Tax year, you can then work out how much of it you have already paid. Remember, you will take into account your Tax-free earnings and any National Insurance contributions too. Finally, once you know your income, profit, Tax and National Insurance contributions, you’ll take the difference between the Tax you've already paid and the actual figure you’re required to pay. This will show you whether you’re entitled to a refund, or subject to a liability.

  • I’m PAYE, am I still eligible for a CIS Tax refund?

    No, if you pay PAYE Tax as an employee of a company, you won’t be eligible as you will already pay the correct Tax according to your Tax code.

  • How much Tax is deducted if I am registered for CIS?

    CIS registered operatives will pay a 20% Tax rate.

Need some help and support?

Latest news

Keep up to date with the latest industry news and trends

Helpful Guides

Take a look at our free guides and downloads for a little expert insight!

Hints & tips

Read our blog designed to help you make the most of your money.